Welcome to Summer Session at Taylor Park!
We are excited that we have over 800 registrations for summer session at Taylor Park. Registration is now closed and most of our classes are full. Verification of class enrollment is available online by selecting the Enrolment Verification and entering your child’s PEN and birthdate. Information will be sent out to parents once our database is updated – we expect that by Tuesday, June 21st.
Our first day of classes is Tuesday July 5th and our last day is Friday, July 22nd. This post provides some general information to help with understanding our safety procedures as well as information on schedules, classes and what to bring. We invite you to join us for our Zoom orientation meeting on Thursday, June 30 at 1 pm. The link will be sent by email to families that are registered.
Supervision, Schedule and Lunch Arrangements for All Day Students
We will have classes from 9 am to 4:00 pm. The school office will be open 8:30 – 1:30 each day and you can reach us by phone at 604-296-9034. One of our supervisors will be in front of the school on the first day to answer questions. During summer session we will have three supervisors on site at various times of the day:
Mr. Hal Wall: 8 am – 1 pm – 604-296-9034 ext. 645001
Ms. Jessica Downie: 9:30 am – 2:30 pm 604-296-9034
Ms. Jill McQueen: 11:30 am – 4:30 pm 604-296-9034
Morning Session Schedule:
- 9:00 (bell)
- 10:30 -10:45 (bell) Recess
- 12:05 Afternoon students take belongings to pm class
- 12:15 Morning students dismissed from outside door
Afternoon Session Student Schedule (Students have a supervised lunch):
- 12:10 – 12: 30 Eat in afternoon classrooms
- 12:30 – 12:45 (bell) Play outside
- 12:45 (start of classes)
- 2:15- 2:30 (bell) Recess
- 4:00 (end of afternoon classes)
- A map of class locations is available online and specific classroom, teacher and location. Some programs have more than one class so information on specific rooms will be sent out by email to all parents
- Students with complex needs and Individual Education Programs (IEP) will work on a limited number of IEP goals. As the summer session is only for fourteen mornings, typically only one IEP goal is identified. Educational Assistant support is prioritized for safety, medical and inclusion needs.
Please know that the safety of students and staff is a priority. All Summer Session 2022 programming reflects the health and safety protocols and guidelines provided by the Provincial Health Officer, Ministries of Health and Education, the BC Centre for Disease Control, the Fraser Health Authority, and WorkSafe BC. The following procedures at Taylor Park are:
- No parents are allowed in the school without permission from the Supervisors
- Students enter and exit by their assigned classroom
- All students should bring inside shoes – slippers, runners, etc. (to reduce dust/sneezing by preventing dirt being tracked in)
- Inside shoes should be worn inside to reduce dust and the associated sneezing and cleaning concerns
- Students should have a health check each day before entering the school – if they have symptoms identified in the health check they will not be able to enter the school
- Students that display Covid-19 like respiratory symptoms during class time (persistent cough, sneezing, fever, etc.) will be moved to an isolation room and parents called for pickup
- Each class will be outdoors for part of the day and many classes will spend most of their day outside (rain or shine)
- Students should bring (in their own backpack), inside shoes, clothes for going outside, snack and lunch (if staying for afternoon classes) in child accessible containers.
Entry/Exit Procedures – Drop-Off and Pick Up
- Students enter and exit at their designated classroom
- Late students should go directly to their class
- Pickups for appointments will be done through the outside classroom door
- There are no drop-offs from within the school. Hallway doors are for emergency exit only
- Morning students will be dismissed starting at 12:05 pm. Upon arrival after 12:05 pm, parents can pick up children.
- Afternoon students will be dismissed starting at 3:50 pm. Upon arrival after 3:50 pm, parents can pick up children.
- There is extremely limited parking on site so families within walking distance are encouraged to walk to school. There is limited parking on Southpoint avenue for those needing it.
- Students for the morning session who are not picked up by 12:15 will be brought to the front entrance to wait with a supervisor for parent pick up (so that staff can have lunch and prepare for afternoon sessions that start at 12:45).
Materials for students to bring
All students should:
- Bring their own backpack with snacks, lunch (if needed) and clothes for going outside. (There is no hot lunch program for summer session.)
- Younger students should have a change of clothes.
- Bring their own writing, drawing and colouring materials (pen, pencil, pencil crayons or crayons, etc. so that these items are not shared – the school will provide paper)
- Students in specialized classes are welcome to bring their personal materials from home (art, technology, etc.)
- Students are welcome to bring sports equipment labelled with their name such as soccer balls or basketballs
- No toys should be brought to school
- Students in intermediate writing, robotics, comic creation, photography, movie-making are encouraged to bring their own devices so they can take their projects home and develop skills they will be able to use after summer session
- Movie making and iPad explorations will use iPads so students will be provided with app information for installing on their own devices
- Comic creation will be done with paper and pencil and may use iPads so students can bring an iPad or laptop from home and use the website makebeliefscomix.com
- Robotics 4/5 and 6/7 as well as Electronics will make use of laptops and students who bring their own devices can download the free apps they will use or access the websites with instructions
Thanks for taking the time to read this – we want to support your child’s safety and learning!
Summer Session Supervisors – Taylor Park Elementary